Strong institutions depend on transparency or, failing that, the consistent pressure and exposure of a free and independent press. Here are 5 ways to support high-quality journalism:
- Subscribe to a reputable news outlet. Accurate and timely reportage requires time, travel, and resources. Whether your preferred news sources is printed or digital, be willing to pay to support it.
- Get your information from diverse sources. No one outlet has the whole story. Use a variety of sources to help inform your opinions and your actions.
- Support local news. Smaller newsrooms are scraping by on shoestring budgets. Consider a subscription to your local paper, visit a news channel’s website, or simply opt to get your weather and traffic from a local station.
- Share good stories. Not just feel-good stories, but important and well-researched articles. Do what you can to increase the reach and audience for good journalism.
- Be an advocate. Participate in your community news with op-eds, letters to the editor, or comments on a website. Tell your family and friends about the importance of a free press. If you have information to share, register as a source at Help a Reporter.